Thank you for your interest in Shinagawa International School (SIS) in Tokyo and welcome to the Admissions section of our website. Our vision is to foster passionate, independent, highly-motivated learners who actively contribute to world peace.
In the following pages you should find all the information you need to understand our policies and admissions procedure before applying to Shinagawa International School in Tokyo. If you have any questions at any time please do not hesitate to contact our Admissions Office.
- International mindedness: SIS seeks a shared understanding of educational philosophy from parents. International mindedness is the bonding feature of our school community and it is vital for our prospective families to demonstrate this perspective as well.
- Inclusive Education/Diversity: SIS welcomes families from various cultures, countries, and linguistic backgrounds.
- Holistic Approach: SIS not only takes the academic background of a child into consideration but also their disposition and their self-management, social, and communication skills, before making the final enrollment decision.
- Transparency: SIS expects families to share all the required and related information about the social, physical, emotional, and academic development of their child.
- Support: SIS expects families to be fully aware of the school rules and regulations and be supportive of and involved in, their child’s education journey.
Admission Policy and Student Placement at SIS
Preschool through Grade 7
A child with the appropriate age for the grade level before 1st September of that academic year is eligible for standard admissions. Appropriate ages for the grades are:
|*Preschool||3 years old|
|Preschool||4 years old|
|Kindergarten||5 years old|
|Grade 1||6 years old|
|Grade 2||7 years old|
|Grade 3||8 years old|
|Grade 4||9 years old|
|Grade 5||10 years old|
|Grade 6||11 years old|
|Grade 7||12 years old|
A child whose birthday is on or after 1st September of that academic year but has exceptional academic skills and appropriate social maturity may still be considered for admission into a particular grade. Acceptance is contingent upon a successful interview and previous school records.
Most children are admitted in September, but if vacancies exist the school will normally admit children throughout the course of the year.
Enrollment Interview and Assessment
All students must go through a level test and an individual interview in order to be accepted into Shinagawa International School (SIS) in Tokyo. As a part of the application process all parents must sit for the enrollment interview, which is to ensure the school’s philosophy and programs match parent’s educational beliefs and expectations. Factors that contribute to acceptance depending on the grade are:
Ability to separate from parents, social maturity, self-help skills, language ability, fine and gross motor skills and the current makeup of the class. Students must be able to toilet themselves independently.
* Children who will turn 3 years old in any given academic year can apply to be admitted throughout the year.
* Children who turn 2.5 years old before April can be admitted in April. Exceptional Admission
Ability to separate from parents, social maturity, self-help skills, language ability, fine and gross motor skills, academic ability and the current makeup of the class.
Age-appropriate social skills, language ability, academic ability and the current makeup of the class.